Modern slavery and human trafficking statement
Modern Slavery Act 2015
Introduction from the Board of Directors
Modern slavery is a crime and a violation of fundamental human rights. It takes various forms, such as slavery, servitude, forced and compulsory labour and human trafficking, all of which have in common the deprivation of a person's liberty by another in order to exploit them for personal or commercial gain.
Maia Energy Ltd is committed to improving our practices to combat slavery and human trafficking.
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and constitutes our slavery and human trafficking statement for the financial year ending 31st December 2017.
We are a provider of Green Energy and Green Technology Procurement and administrative services. We are known as Maia Energy Ltd. Maia Energy Ltd owns a limited trading subsidiary, known as Maia Procurement Ltd. The principal activity undertaken by the Group are Auction procurement for renewable energy and renewable energy technologies with ancillary activities necessary to facilitate this.
Our policies on slavery and human trafficking
Maia Energy Ltd is committed to ensuring that there is no modern slavery or human trafficking in our supply chains or in any part of our business.
In light of the obligation to report on measures to ensure that all parts of our business and supply chain are slavery free we have put in place a designated Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Policy.
Our Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Policy demonstrate our commitment to acting ethically and with integrity in all our business relationships and to implementing and enforcing effective systems and controls to ensure slavery and human trafficking is not taking place anywhere in our supply chains.
Due diligence processes for slavery and human trafficking
As part of our initiative to identify and mitigate risk we have in place:
Human Resource procedures
- A comprehensive range of policies and practices have been applied including an Equality and Diversity Statement, Dignity at Work and Study, formal grievance and disciplinary policies to protect and ensure that staff rights and responsibilities are upheld.
- Regarding pay, Maia Energy Ltd has safeguards to ensure that the hourly rate of staff not fall below the current London Living Wage.
- Engage with our supplier base.
- Identify and monitor potential risk of slavery and human trafficking in our supply chains.
- Incorporate within the tender process to address slavery and human trafficking with potential new suppliers.
Supplier adherence to our values
Maia Energy Ltd has a zero tolerance to slavery and human trafficking. To ensure all those in our supply chain (including contractors) comply with our values we have in place a supply chain compliance action list.
- Engage with supplier base to secure a commitment to work with Maia Energy Ltd to identify and monitor slavery and human trafficking down the supply chain.
- Register all supplier responses on an annual basis.
- Engage with potential new suppliers about commitment to Maia Energy Ltd’s Modern Slavery Policy.
- Reduce and identify our key supply chains in the following areas of expenditure:
- Temporary Staff
- Professional services
To ensure a high level of understanding of the risks of modern slavery and human trafficking in our supply chains and our business, we intend to provide training to our staff, via Modern Slavery as a regular agenda item to be discussed at management meetings with information to be cascaded through the organisation. Monitoring will be managed through the current, Disclosure of Conflict of Interest.
Our effectiveness in combating slavery and human trafficking
We have built upon existing monitoring already in place and developed further processes to allow for more effective reporting in the longer term.
Following a review of the effectiveness of steps we have taken to date to ensure that there is no slavery or human trafficking in our organisation and supply chains we intend to take the following further steps to combat slavery and human trafficking.
Maia Energy Ltd's policies and reporting mechanisms are regularly reviewed to identify areas for further review and issues to be addressed.
APPROVED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF Maia Energy Ltd
Date: JULY 2017